Friday, October 2, 2009

Rivalry?

In the state of Utah few sporting events draw more press attention than this one. The headlines are dominated and tensions run high as fans and students from both sides scramble to buy tickets. Yes indeed, this rivalry demands the undivided attention of the entire state. This rivalry is....................

BYU vs. Utah State?
To be honest, I'm not even sure if this can be called a rivalry any more. Before I go any further let me say this. This is not a diss on USU. To tell ya the truth, if I have a second favorite team in the state its USU. I wish them well in every game....except one.

The cold hard fact is this, in the last 28 games the Y has won 25 of them.

Can you really call that a rivalry? Utah State hasn't beat BYU since 1993. BYU's average margin of victory has been more than 3 TDs. In the last three meetings BYU has outscored USU 107-48 (34 of USU's points came in one game).

If you ask the average USU student/fan who their #1 rival is the answer will be BYU every time. Ask a BYU student/fan who their top 4 rivals are and you won't here USU's name. Ask a BYU student/fan who their second favorite team is they will probably say...USU. That's gotta suck for USU's fan base to know that the team they hate the most actually kind of likes them.

I thought it was pretty sad last year when the fans in Romney stadium in logan started chanting "over rated" because BYU was only winning by 20.

They always say that anything can happen in a rivalry. So I guess that means that USU could score its first points in Provo since 2001. Maybe BYU will win by less than 20 points for the first time in 8 years. And maybe...just maybe...USU will win a game against an instate opponent. After all this is a rivalry....right?

5 comments:

  1. USU's identical scores vs. Utah and the Zoo (that's you guys) shows some improvement, methinks. I think Gary Anderson will make them competitive again, just as long as they beat Boise State and the B more often than not, I will be happy.

    I wonder if it ever makes the B fans sad to know that even though USU is your second favorite team, they still hate you with passion? :) You should know that since I'm probably the only Ute reading your page that basically everything I say is tongue-in-cheek

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a Ute fan, so I will make sure to not check my tongue! I completely agree with Jeff on this one. There's now way you could call that a rivalry. The reason why it is between Utah and BYU is for several reasons: 1.The Holy War; 2.Every year it's impossible to predict who will win; 3. Each team genuinely hates the other team.
    With all that being said, USU does not fall under that list. I'm not bashing USU, I'm just saying that I agree that it's kinduva one-sided rivalry. In order to be in a war, both sides have to hate each other. That's all I'm sayin :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that a lot of the hate probably comes from the basketball-side of things. USU hasn't [ever as far as I've been an Aggie] had the best football team, but when it comes to basketball the Aggies really do a great job. And when BYU REFUSED to come to our basketball arena last year because "the crowd is too loud", it pissed off a lot of USU students. "So we have to drive to salt lake, and PAY to watch the game, when it should've been our home game?" Isn't the noisy crowd part of the game? Shouldn't BYU learn to play with the noise or be good enough to stand the pressure? I for one won't be surprised when BYU still insists that we come down to their arena this year even though we had to play on neutral ground last year for them to even show up. Weiners.
    For me, a previous die-hard BYU fan, most of my love for BYU has dwindled. Mostly because of the proud, cocky, and self-righteous players AND fans. That is what made me cheer so loud when our hockey team smeared BYU 15-1 a few weeks ago (and I'm not even that big of a fan of hockey). I just can't stand the "better-than-thou" attitude that thickens the air at any BYU game. BYU fans may deny it, but there are too many others that can confirm the attitude. And what is with doing the "Haka" at every football game? Is the entire team Māori or something? Obviously not (unless I'm color-blind). So why do they do the dance? Many professional football teams you see on T.V. say prayers or something before the game. But BYU does a dance? Aren't they a religious school? Maybe we could get a post on how BYU is SO self-righteous that they don't even have to say prayers!
    Anyways, I digress. The point I am getting at is that maybe the feelings that point towards a rivalry don't necessarily have to do with the specific SPORT, but with the feelings of one student body towards another.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep. Just statin the facts on how we feel

    ReplyDelete