Friday, February 11, 2011

Jerry

Yesterday was one of those days where reality seemed to be impossible. A day that I always knew would come, but hoped never would. As days like that always seem to happen, It completely blindsided me.

2-10-2011: The day Jerry Sloan stepped down as the head coach of the Utah Jazz. To me it just seems wrong! It wasn't supposed to happen this way, not with his last game being a loss, not in the middle of the season, not amid controversy. I know its crazy to say this but I feel like one of the last remaining things from my childhood just died! Jerry has been the coach of the Jazz for almost as long as I have been alive. It's hard for me to imagine the Jazz bench without him. But whether or not I can do that, and whether anybody likes it or not, the Jazz bench will just look wrong tonight when we play the Suns.


Jerry's longtime faithful assistant Phil Johnson will also be gone. A man who had countless opportunities to leave Jerry's side, but never did.

No matter what anybody says or thinks Jerry and Phil are Jazz Icons. They have done more for Jazz than anybody will probably ever know.

As the sun sets on the Sloan era, it rises on the Corbin era. Maybe its poetic justice that we are playing the Suns tonight, lets hope that the sun shines on the Jazz tonight and for a long time to come!

Jerry I'll Miss ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment